Re: What could replace the P-3?

Date:         18 May 98 16:03:20
From:         "Carrie" <giz45aw@usa.net>

P. Wezeman <pwezeman@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu> wrote in article
<airliners.1998.754@ohare.Chicago.COM>...
> 	Of existing production aircraft, I would think that the logical
> choice would be the Lockheed C-130 Hercules. It is close to the size of
> the P-3 and is already used for some long range weather observation
> missions also performed by P-3's. ...snipped... At low altitude it can
shut down and
> feather the outboard engines and fly on the inboard engines at near
> full RPM, where the engines operate most efficiently. "

The C-130 is a good aircraft, but I think most Orion aircrew would prefer
to keep the P-3 over the C-130.  The C-130 is one of the few aircraft out
there that makes a P-3 look fast. In our game a long transit is part of the
work day, and an aircraft slower than the P-3 would really get old fast.
Economy and room aren't the only parts of the equation.  BTW, the T-56
turboprops used by both airframes are constant speed turbines with speed
control being handled by prop pitch.

Respectfully,

Giz

> newserver shared by: