Re: DC-9 Hail damage

Date:         18 May 98 16:03:18
From:         Trevor Fenn <trevfenn@nospam.erols.com>

David Lesher wrote:
> I've not seen any photos, but the ValueJet [yes, I call it that]
> -9 was described as losing the windshield.
>
> How the dickens can the crew survive that?

It was only cracked, didn't actually depart the airframe.

There was a case some years ago in England or Europe somewhere of a
British Airways
BAC-111 which lost the windshield on the captains side. The resulting
decompression lifted him from his loosely fasten seat belt/harness and
he ended up with the upper half of his body outside the plane with the
wind holding him against the upper window frame in the small of his
back. He stayed in that position until after the aircraft landed.
Investigation revealed that the windshield had been replaced and
fastened with the wrong screws, the heads of which were too small and
were able to pass through the mounting holes.

Would be quite a way to view the approach and landing, not to mention
the emergency descent after the decompression.

Would have been fun trying to get the bugs out of his teeth as well :)

Trevor Fenn
trevfenn@erols.com