Re: AA 777 wings

Date:         18 May 98 16:03:11
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>I have to point out ... that the 757 and 767
>use far LESS of that 6869 foot runway (landing or taking off- especially
>taking off!) than any other full-size passenger jet flying in and out of
>there.

While that may be true, if you're comparing to a 727 (common at LGA due
to their use on both DL and US shuttles), keep in mind that the tables
may turn if an engine fails right at V1 -- the 757 and 767 will have to
complete their takeoff with only 50% of their thrust remaining, plus a
fair bit of rudder to counteract yaw, whereas the 727 will still have
67% of its thurst intact and will need less rudder (hence less drag) due
to the mounting of its engines closer to the centerline.  (Obviously it
will need no rudder if the #2 engine is the one which took a powder.)

Similarly, I was amazed at how quickly a 777-200IGW got off the ground
on an SFO-LHR flight, compared to eihter a 747-200B or 747SP.  It felt
little different from an SFO-DEN flight.  Had we lost an engine, though,
it would have been a *very* different story.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com