Re: AA 777 wings

Date:         18 May 98 16:03:10
From:         "S.L." <look@the.sig>

Michael Silano wrote:
> Personally, I'd like to see a 777 try and land at LaGuardia (7000 foot
> runway)
>
> It would make one heck of a splash as it entered Riker's Island
> Channel.
>
> National Airport would be even more entertaining (6869 foot runway)
>
> The largest planes flying into or out of LaGuardia are the 757's due
> mostly to the relatively tight runways.  If you've ever landed at
> either of these runways, you'd much rather have 3000 more feet to
> stop.  So would the pilot.

I have to point out (having spent more than 1 sleepless afternoon after
a redeye and non-productive morning meetings watching the comings and
goings at National from the Crystal City Marriott) that the 757 and 767
use far LESS of that 6869 foot runway (landing or taking off- especially
taking off!) than any other full-size passenger jet flying in and out of
there. I suspect that the 777's runway requirements are not all that
different than those of a 727-100 or DC-9. Don't forget that the new Air
Force Ones based on the 747 require less runway length than the old
707's did. I don't think the 777 would be precluded from using either
airport you mention, although loading might be restricted.

--
Stephen Lacker
PO Box 8029, Austin TX 78713-8029