Re: An-124 and wing dihedral

Date:         18 May 98 16:02:57
From:         jac@panix.com (John Clear)

>Last Thursday there were a couple of Antonov An-124s parked at Moffet
>Field.  (I've seen one there before.  Anyone know what they might be
>doing there?)  They reminded me of a question I've had about wing
>dihedral.

Satellite pickups from LockMart or Loral.  At one of the Sunnyvale /
Mountain View meetings on Moffett re-use (unfortunately anything BUT
aviation), a rep from NASA said it is ironic that we now have Soviet
transports coming in to pickup Chinese satellites from an American
military base.  A lot of the satellites have dimensions that make road
transport difficult, and with the runway right there, An-124s are an
easy way to move them.  There are also C-5s in occasionally to pick up
US Gov't satellites.  I think, but am not sure, that US commercial
satellites are moved via An-124 as well (there is usually a Heavy Lift
banner on the plane(s?)).

John
--
John Clear - jac@panix.com  			http://www.panix.com/~jac