Re: Old 707's

Date:         20 Jan 98 01:29:23
From:         hunneweb@earthlink.net (Brad Hunnewell)

On 26 Dec 97 03:28:48 , mweber@t140.aone.net.au (James Matthew Weber) wrote:
>On 21 Dec 97 17:01:28 , hackettNO*SPAM@southwind.net (Kim Hackett) wrote:
>>The early 707s, the KC-135A with J57 engines, and the B-52G use water
>>injection for additional takeoff thrust.  The B-52G has a water tank in
>>the fuselage forward of the wing.  The water injection lasts about 45
>>seconds ...

>I didn't die all that quickly. Early 747's, with JT9D-3A and 7A
>engines I know were 'wet'. the 7F may have been 'wet'. I know the
>flight engineers never cared for wet takeoffs. A number of 'wet'
>KC135's are still around, and wet takeoffs are fairly common among the
>ANG  tankers based at Phoenix during the summer.

Actually, the only -135A left is flown by NASA. The last AF one was
flown by my squadron at Edwards-it was the infamous "water spray
tanker" that could be used to produce ice clouds with exact droplet
parameters for testing aircraft in various icing conditions. It was
"excessed" in the Spring of 1996. Rumor is they will modify an R model
to resume that mission.
 No ANG units have had A-models for many years-they all fly E and R
models now (Phoenix has E models). As to the early 747's using water
augmentation- I have never heard such a thing and highly doubt it.
Perhaps by "wet takeoff" the aforementioned FE's may have meant "wet
runway"-which can be a painful takeoff data correction in some
airplanes (like the -135!)