Re: airliner market analysis [long]

Date:         17 May 98 00:43:19
From:         malc@mci2000.com (Malcolm Weir)

On 26 Apr 98 03:44:49 , Bob Weinheimer <rmweinheimer@newwave.net> caused to
appear as if it was written:

>> But back to the subject at hand: the 757-300 would make a truly HORRIBLE
>> aircraft for use on high-volume short-haul routes.  With only one aisle,
>> you'd spend longer boarding and disembarking passengers than you'd spend in
>> the air!

>ANA uses 747s with a fairly dense all coach (or nearly so) configuration
>on their Osaka-Tokyo Haneda runs.  They load and unload through 3 doors
>in front of the wing.  The times I've ridden it they get about 500
>people on the plane and seated in less than 10 minutes, off even quicker
>it seems.  When was the last time anyone saw an airline use more than
>one door to load or unload a large jet?  I've seen United put first
>class passengers through one door and everyone else through a second on
>international flights, not much help.  Air Wisconsin frequently unloads
>BAC 146s at ORD from both ends.  Why can't they figure a way to use more
>of the several doors on a 757?  Yes, current gate architecture isn't
>friendly to this approach but at what point will it become worth it to
>the airlines to speed things up?

Part of the problem is the number of doors, but more significant is the
number of aisles.  The problem with a long, single-aisle aircraft like the
757-300 is that someone who stops half-way down the aisle to stuff the
kitchen sink into the overhead prevents many people from getting to their
seat.

This is, unfortunately, more of an issue with US domestic short hops than
with foreign routes (at the moment) and charters.

Malc.