Re: US Airways MD-80 question

Date:         17 May 98 00:43:14
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>    I also printed the information for this aircraft, N818US, from the
>landings.com website and it had an interesting engine designation that
>I'd never seen before. Here is a copy of it:
>N-number                      : N818US
>Aircraft Serial Number        : 48098
>Engine   Manufacturer         : AMA/EXPR
>         Model                : UNKNOWN ENG

That database is straight from the FAA, whose data on this sort of thing
seems to be approximate at best, and often flat out wrong.  According to
JP Airline Fleets, N818US has Pratt and Whitney JT8D-217 engines.  That's
a standard engine for a DC-9-82 (MD-82).

>    What kind of engine is "AMA/EXPR", and what (if anything) does this
>have to do with the devices I saw on the wings?

I doubt either the engines or the bogus data in the FAA database has
anything to do with the devices on the wings.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com