Re: What could replace the P-3?

Date:         17 May 98 00:43:06
From:         redin@lysator.liu.se (Magnus Redin)

westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu (Stephen H. Westin) writes:

> I'm not sure that makes sense. Think of the basic design goal of an
> airliner: get lots of people to a destination as fast and as
> economically as possible. Then, the design goals of an ASW plane:
> hang around as long as possible, looking for things that come your
> way. Possibly make low, slow passes over a specified area, perhaps
> dragging or dropping instrumentation.

How about C-130J equiped with the earlier versions permanent underwing
tanks. It could shut down two out of four engines on patrol and it can
fly realy slow an four engines and flaps if needed. It could even be
loaded with fuel tanks for extra long missions and there is plenty of
room for a resting second crew. Its a very obvious alternative so
someone here ought to have a story on it. Have I missed something
fundamental like that the P-3 operates from carriers?

Regards,
Magnus Redin  Lysator Academic Computer Society  redin@lysator.liu.se
Mail: Magnus Redin, Rydsvägen 214B, 584 32 LINKöPING, SWEDEN
Phone: Sweden (0)13 260046 (answering machine)  and  (0)13 214600