Re: AA 777 wings

Date:         17 May 98 00:42:45
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>Personally, I'd like to see a 777 try and land at LaGuardia (7000 foot
>runway)

I doubt it would be a problem.  The first revenue landing of a 777 took
place on 27R at ORD, and that's only 7,967 feet long.  We had plenty of
room to spare.

>It would make one heck of a splash as it entered Riker's Island
>Channel.

Doubtful.

>National Airport would be even more entertaining (6869 foot runway)

Considering that United quite recently landed a DC-10 there safely, and
a 777 almost certainly has equal or better performance, I doubt DCA is
a problem for a 777 either.

>Compare this to airports where the 777 can/does operate:
>
>* Newark EWR (longest is 9300 feet long, soon to be 11000 feet long)

The longest runway at a particular airport is only interesting for this
discussion if its the only runway the 777 can use there.  I'm sure it's
not.  SFO's longest runway (10L/28R) is 11,870 feet long, but 777s
routinely depart from 1R which is only 8,901 feet long.  The only time
I've personally been on a 777 flying SFO-DEN or SFO-ORD which *didn't*
use this runway, it was because 1R was closed.  While longer flights
usually use the longer runways, it's not unheard of for 777s flying
SFO-LHR to use 1R if the winds are right -- and a takeoff for a 5,368
mile flight uses a lot more runway than landing.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com