Re: Tu-144LL

Date:         04 May 98 02:20:27
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>>New-er engines.  Still basically 1970's technology.

>Blackjack bomber engines, more like late 1980s technology.  According to
>AW&ST, they are the only part of the A/C Boeing/NASA doesn't have access to.

Given that a Tu-144D (the model with the new engines) crashed on May 23,
1978, and AvWeek managed to publish a photo of a Tu-160 ("Blackjack") on
December 14, 1981, I'd say the engines weren't late 1980s technology --
unless the Soviets also managed to invent a time machine.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com