Re: A320 emergency procedure

Date:         26 Apr 98 03:44:52
From:         "Richard Rea" <rrea@xmission.com>

Trevor Fenn wrote in message ...

>Philippe Vessaire wrote:

[snip]

>> we need a very long long final approch and only little actions
>> are usefull.
>
>Is it just me or does that sound very much like a certain DC-10 at Sioux
>City?
>Doesn't sound like a very safe amount of backup to me, but then maybe I
>expect too much.

One BIG difference between the Airbus procedure and the Sioux City DC-10:
The DC-10 was being flown entirely by the slight differences in engine
thrust giving limited control.  They hit the runway going over 300 MPH (no
flare, obviously, and I don't know about a/c geometry when it impacted the
runway) with the infamous results.  That was *no* pre-defined procedure, but
rather heroic actions on the pilots involved (a total of four were in the
cockpit, as I recall).  So the Airbus, even with limited control of the
aerodynamic surfaces, will still be flyable and can land.