Re: MD-95-30 becomes 717-200 "Regional Jet"

Date:         20 Jan 98 01:29:15
From:         "elysium" <elysium@iafrica.com>

Brian Clouse wrote in message ...
>I'd also really like to know why Boeing refuses to make any public
>decision on shortening the plane to a 70-seater (which would make it a
>pretty stubby-looking, draggy plane with a longitudinal stability margin
>problem, I would think).

The Dc9-10/20 series was described by many comm' jockeys as the nearest
thing to flying a fighter in commercial aviation, in fact I recall ATC
flagging them as an aeroplane to haul out of holding patterns when a
small window of opportunity arose, due to their agility. Given the BMW
RR motors I'd see the 70 seater as quite a proposition, wonder if
they'll remove the slats ?? Pitch/ longitudinal stability was never a
problem, considering the sweepback the machine had very good inherent
balance.

>From : elysium@iafrica.com
" Slow to erect, quick to topple -- A maverick gimbal ".