Re: airliner market analysis [long]

Date:         26 Apr 98 03:44:49
From:         Bob Weinheimer <rmweinheimer@newwave.net>

> But back to the subject at hand: the 757-300 would make a truly HORRIBLE
> aircraft for use on high-volume short-haul routes.  With only one aisle,
> you'd spend longer boarding and disembarking passengers than you'd spend in
> the air!

ANA uses 747s with a fairly dense all coach (or nearly so) configuration
on their Osaka-Tokyo Haneda runs.  They load and unload through 3 doors
in front of the wing.  The times I've ridden it they get about 500
people on the plane and seated in less than 10 minutes, off even quicker
it seems.  When was the last time anyone saw an airline use more than
one door to load or unload a large jet?  I've seen United put first
class passengers through one door and everyone else through a second on
international flights, not much help.  Air Wisconsin frequently unloads
BAC 146s at ORD from both ends.  Why can't they figure a way to use more
of the several doors on a 757?  Yes, current gate architecture isn't
friendly to this approach but at what point will it become worth it to
the airlines to speed things up?

--
Bob Weinheimer
Charleston, West Virginia