Re: MD90/Boeing 717

Date:         20 Jan 98 01:29:13
From:         "Thomas A. Beckley" <beckley@sprintmail.com>

>Boeing announced today it will continue to produce the MD90 but rename it
>the 717-200.  Although Boeing will beat Airbus (I believe their 100 seater
>will be called the AE317?) to the punch line by several years, the cockpit
>commonality will not be present as it is across Boeing's other products and
>as Airbus will no doubt have in their competing product when it comes to
>market.  So, the question is, will the commonality issue be a big factor
>given that the two manufacturers push it when hawking their respective
>wares?

As I'm sure many other people will/have pointed out, it's the MD-95 that was
renamed, not the MD-90.

I believe that the 717-200 has three computer screens as its
instrumentation, so I would think that Boeing may be able to make the
cockpit of the 717-200 similar to its other modern aircraft with only some
minor software modifications.  This is similar to the 767-400 which is also
using these displays, and according to an official Boeing press release
(http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/1998/news_release_980109.html), these
screens allow commonality between its different aircraft.

Finally, the Airbus that competes directly with the 717-200 would be the
AE316.  There is also an AE317, but it is slightly larger (about 120
passengers versus 100 passengers).