Re: Why aren't air cabins pressurised to 1 atmosphere?

Date:         26 Apr 98 03:44:20
From:         Andrew Crawford <andrewc@nildram.net>

In uk.transport Karl Swartz <kls@ohare.Chicago.COM> wrote:

> First, the greater pressure differential (assuming the same cruise
> altitude) would require a considerably stronger fuselage structure,
> which implies more weight.  Weight is anathema to airliner design.

I recently had my first flight in a 777 (United, Heathrow to San Francisco),
and was pleasantly suprised to find that I had none ear popping, earaches,
deafness, etc that I am used to at takeoff and landing. Would it be correct
to assume that this (newer) aircraft keeps the cabin at a higher pressure
than the older ones?

I was most disappointed to be back in an ear-popping 747 on the way home!

--
Andrew Crawford
+44 1883 626244