Re: Why aren't air cabins pressurised to 1 atmosphere?

Date:         26 Apr 98 03:44:17
From:         procida@cardiff.ac.uk (D.M. Procida)

> Avoiding the minor annoyance of everyone's ears "popping" on ascent
> and descent isn't worth the tremendous cost.

On a descent into Malta Luqa in 1984, one of my ears "blocked up" in the
usual fashion, and then refused to unblock. No amount of swallowing or
yawning made any difference. I went around half-deaf in that ear for
about 6 weeks (nobody believed me that there was anything the matter
when I tried to explain) until one day, suddenly, I heard an alarming
and very loud sound - something like tearing cloth - and my ear opened
up and I could hear properly again. Still, I don't suppose my plight
would have impressed the airline industry very much. Is there any
sure-fire guaranteed way to unblock one's reluctant ears?

Daniele
--
"...the so-called support act, The Awkward Moments, climbed onstage
unsmilingly, not even looking at the audience. They only played one