Re: AA 777 wings

Date:         26 Apr 98 03:44:05
From:         David Lednicer <dave@amiwest.com>

C. Marin Faure wrote:

> In article <airliners.1998.595@ohare.Chicago.COM>, k_ish
> <kenish@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> > AA participated in the definition of the 777.  They drove the
> > requirement for folding wings (for ground operations); Boeing went to a
> > great deal of trouble and expense to design in this option which nobody
> > to date is flying.
> >
> > Does anyone know if AA has ordered their 777s with folding wings?
>
> The folding wing idea has been dropped.  It proved uneccessary in airport
> operations and far too heavy.

	Interestingly enough, John Roundhill made an AIAA dinner meeting
presentation back in the early days of the 777 and showed that the
folding wings were essential.  Without them, the 777 could not use many
existing gates and would have trouble using certain taxiways at older
airports, like LaGuardia.  I would imagine that the 777 without the
folding wings is now locked out of many gates.  This leads to the
question: how do 777 operators get around the taxiway problems at
LaGuardia?  Is the 777 used out of this airport?