Re: airliner market analysis [long]

Date:         18 Apr 98 00:49:41
From:         malc@mci2000.com (Malcolm Weir)

On 11 Apr 98 02:16:31 , ehaase2463@aol.com (EHaase2463) caused to appear as
if it was written:

>Why is the 757-300 not selling well?  I read that Boeing hoped to sell it to
>customers replacing the L-1011 and DC-10.  Couldn't the 757-300 be successful
>in the U.S. on high volume, short distance routes?
>
> I know that Delta uses L-1011's on some high volume, short distance routes in
>the U.S.  Wouldn't the 757-300 work well on these routes? Do you think that
>Delta will merely use its older 767's on these routes as the L-1011's are
>phased out?  The 757-300 appears to be the largest single-aisle plane ever
>built by Boeing (possibly the U.S. - I know that some of the DC-8's were
>stretched quite a bit).

Boeing does think the the 757-300 is their longest aircraft, and the
post-merger Boeing appears to have adopted the old Douglas line as their
own.  Reading their history of the 707 vs. DC-8 competition is rather
amusing...

But back to the subject at hand: the 757-300 would make a truly HORRIBLE
aircraft for use on high-volume short-haul routes.  With only one aisle,
you'd spend longer boarding and disembarking passengers than you'd spend in
the air!

Malc.