Re: Desalting kit?

Date:         11 Jan 98 03:24:51
From:         mweber@t140.aone.net.au (James Matthew Weber)

On 09 Jan 98 00:51:02 , Joktan Lo <joktanlo@macau.ctm.net> wrote:
>        Can some one tell me that why there is no desalting kit on the
>common airliner to desalt the sea water for the survivor during the
>survival period after a disaster?
>        Can the water purification tablets whcih are carried on the most
>airliner nowadays to desalt the sea water?

There has been a distinct reduction in the carriage of emergency
equipment. For instance most aircraft used to have rafts. Now the
escape chutes do double duty as rafts (and I understand from
volunteers that the old circular rafts were pretty sea worth, I have
not heard nice things about the escape chutes being used as rafts.

 The reason is fairly clear. I am not aware of any commercial jetliner
ditching  in the middle of the ocean for a very very long time. (The
Ethiopian Airlines 767 went down within sight of land).  So part 1 is
that the problem just doesn't occur.

The other issue is that the airlines now believe it is virtually
impossible to put an aircraft down in the sea, and NOT be rescued
within 24 hours. All survival planning is based upon this, and most
people can in fact survive for 24 hours without water.

I know in Australia, a drill is conducted annually where a raft,
rescue beacon  and volunteered are dumped off the coast of Australia
somewhere with a Royal Australian Naval vessel in sight if needed, and
the  rescue services are told to find them. It hasn't taken 24 hours
yet....

The major problem area was the Indian Ocean, however apparently the US
has significant rescue capability at Diego Garcia.

No., water purification tables do nothing for dissolved minerals (i.e.
salt)...