Re: Cordless Phones On 110-140 Mhz

Date:         11 Apr 98 02:16:36
From:         XXXXcoggs@cogwheel.com (Bob Coggeshall)

On 02 Apr 98 01:24:07 , kubis@pacific.net.sg (Lloyd Kubis) wrote:

>I have seen cordless phones for sale in electronics shops in Singapore
>that are marked as operating on 110-140 Mhz complete with 50 and 100 watt
>amplifiers for increased range. Would these units not cause interference
>to aircraft navigation systems which I believe operate in the 108-118 Mhz
>band? Apparently these are made in Taiwan or in China by Taiwanese companies.

Two words: 'water goods'. At least that's what they are called in HK.
Amplifying handhelds to 50 and 100watts in the VHF range, certainly in
a consumer product, is just not done. And the other markings, because
they cover the air band *has* to be wrong.

At least this is how my western mind would keep from being betrayed :)

I would wager reasonable money if you bench tested this radio it would
neither xmit in that range or power

==
Bob Coggeshall         Cogwheel                coggs[at]cogwheel.com
(+1)206-230-6445       677 NE 120th / Suite 162     www.cogwheel.com
(+1)206-236-2553(fax)  Bellevue, Washington, (USA) 98005-3002