Re: 707 : How did it get its name ?

Date:         11 Jan 98 03:24:50
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

In article <airliners.1998.34@ohare.Chicago.COM>, faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure) wrote:
> The name 707 was suggested by Boeing's ad agency as it sounded better than
> Boeing 700 which is what the company was going to call the plane (and
> actually what it IS called on the Type Certificate).  The numbers B-17,
> B-47, and KC-97 had nothing to do with Boeing.  They were the numbers
> assigned to those planes by the Air Force.  The B-17 was the Boeing Model
> 299, the B-47 was the Boeing Model 450, and the KC-97 was the Boeing Model
> 367.  Three hundred was the series number for four-engine, piston-powered
> transports.  Thus the 314 Clipper, the 307 Stratoliner, and the 377
> Stratocruiser.

Everything about this post is right except my statement that the 707 is
actually called the 700 on the Type Certificate.  It's not.  The numbers
that ARE different on the Type Certificate from the numbers in common
usage are the dash-numbers.  The 707-120 is officially called a 707-100,
while the 707-320 is officially called a 707-300.  Sorry for the error.

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane