Re: 777's replacing 747-400s???

Date:         11 Apr 98 02:16:21
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>Is the industry replacing 747s with 777s?  I checked out Boeing's website
>and the performance of the two models are pretty much the same except ...

To some degree, yes.  At United, the 777 has completely replaced the 747
on Atlantic and Latin routes.  However, those were older 747-100 and -200
models, which were significantly more expensive to operate but less
capable than the 747-400 whose specs you read on the Boeing web site.

>I know BA is using 777s on its JFK-LHR (transatlantic) route.

I'm not sure what they're replacing, though.  At a guess, probably older
747s, just like United is doing.

>Will we be seeing 777s flying transpacific routes in the future?

You can see them flying trans-Pacific routes today -- China Southern
flies them from Guanzhou to LAX and back at least three times per week,
maybe daily now.

Beyond that, American recently increased their 777 orders in direct
response to gaining more access to Japan.  Once they have enough 777s
to both replace all of their MD-11s and provide needed expansion for
the new routes, they'll only be flying 777s across the Pacific.  I'm
sure other carriers will follow.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com