Re: Boeing 777 Cabin Door

Date:         02 Apr 98 01:24:02
From:         Trevor Fenn <trevfenn@nospam.erols.com>

D.M. Procida wrote:
> C. Marin Faure <faurecm@halcyon.com> wrote:
>
> > Our design was put to the test ... an airport technician accidentally cut
> > the hydraulic pressure to the jetway.  It started to sink down on its
> > wheels and in the process neatly peeled the forward door right off the
> > 777.  But the shear mechanism worked as designed; the door ripped off and
> > fell onto a baggage cart down below, but there was no damage at all to the
> > door frame, skins, or surrounding airplane structure.
>
> Isn't this potentially dangerous, given that there are likely to be all
> kinds of people wandering around down below?

I would think that if a door was removed from the airframe by a sinking jetway
it would be most likely only to fall as far as the floor of the jetway. What
worries me more when I'm on the ramp is those people dumping lavs on a windy
day. Ever seen the mess when they haven't secured the hose properly? Not a
pretty sight :)

Trevor Fenn
trevfenn@erols.com