Re: Request for help: Bristol 170 family

Date:         02 Apr 98 01:23:56
From:         ibm@svpal.org

In article <airliners.1998.558@ohare.Chicago.COM>, feliks@dds.nl wrote:
> Ik work at Schiphol ( Amsterdam Airport ) and somebody last weekend said
> ' look there goes a Bristol'.
> I don't know what type or anything, but the guy said it was at least 30
> years old.
> I was on old 4 porp plane with a vage appearence of a hercules.
> The one i saw is still in service as a freighter for 'Heavy Lift', an
> air cargo company.
> If you want me to, i can try and take a closer look this weekend. Just
> tell me where to look to be make a possitive ID.

That would be a Short Belfast ( ex RAF ) and yes operated by
Heavylift. Its not a Bristol type at all.

On the main topic, Trans Canada Airlines operated a pair of Bristol
Freighters in the late 40's - early 50's period. IIRC, one is still
in existence on static display somewhere in the far north [ White
Horse or Yellow Knife ( not sure which )].

Somewhere I have a picture my dad took of one of them at one of the
places he was stationed in Newfoundland or Labrador.

IBM