Re: BA B777 Engine Blows

Date:         29 Mar 98 23:09:34
From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)

In article <airliners.1998.478@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Roger Chung-Wee <arsenal@caribbean.prestel.co.uk> wrote:
>This isn't the first problem that BA has had with its GE90 engines.
>First there was a year-long delay in the plane entering service caused

Hmmm...  Where do you get your information?

The first GE90-powered B777 entered into service about five months
after the first PW4000-powered B777 entered into service on June 7,
1995 (right on schedule).  IIRC, the original plan was to have the
B777/GE90 combination certified two to three months after the
B777/PW4000 combination.  Thus, I believe it was two or three months
behind schedule.  It wasn't a year-long delay.

>by the GE90's failure to pass a standard test for withstanding flying
>into a flock of birds.

The GE90 engine certification was delayed due to numerous development
problems.  However, IIRC, the bird-strike test wasn't one of them
(maybe your're referring to the blade-out test).  Anyway, GE/Boeing
did expect to make up the engine certification delay, but the airframe/
engine certification was also delayed because they had encountered other
problems during various flight tests.  I'm pretty sure those problems
were not related to the bird-strike nor blade-out test.

>Then last year BA had to check its 777 fleet
>because of cracks in fan blade seals.

Once again, I think you got the part wrong.  I do recall reading about
compressor seal problem on the GE90.

>Also, -200IGWs were withdrawn
>for a while from long range flights by BA because of excessive wear in
>gearbox bearings.

IIRC, it took two incidences (which did not involve an inflight shutdown)
before BA and GE took some action.  However, it took five or six inflight
shutdowns on the Trent 700-powered A330 before R-R addressed the gearbox
problem on the Trent 700.