Re: MD-95-30 becomes 717-200 "Regional Jet"

Date:         11 Jan 98 03:24:42
From:         jac@panix.com (John Clear)

>Wonderful!  Now the already confusing story of what happened to the
>717 is even more confusing to explain.  (It is, er, was, Boeing's
>designation for the KC-135.  I'm pretty sure the KC-135 series were
>all 717-1xx models, with several values for xx, so there's still no
>ambiguity unless Boeing launches the proposed MD-95-10 as the 717-100.)

According to http://www.boeing.com/commercial/717/Boe717.html :

The model number 717 has appeared once before in Boeing history. The
second airplane in the 700 series was internally designated the 717.
However, the Air Force decided to call it the KC-135, and that became
the name by which it is known. Because 717 was never assigned to a
commercial jetliner, the number was available for the new 717-200.

-------

Nothing like re-writing history to suit your current needs...

I guess Boeing reads mta-i, since as of the other day, the "what
ever happened to the 717?" links still pointed to the KC-135...

John
--
John Clear - jac@panix.com  PP-ASEL  1Lt, CAP-CAWG  http://www.panix.com/~jac