Re: In the air?

Date:         28 Mar 98 14:21:44
From:         malc@mci2000.com (Malcolm Weir)

On 24 Mar 98 11:38:45 , Andrew Cruickshank <andrew@openkast.com> caused to
appear as if it was written:

>> > I am told that at any one time two thirds of the world's civil aircraft are
>> > in the air, and that this is necessary as there is not room for all of them
>> > on the ground. Is this so? If it is, it will be interesting if all airline
>> > companies decide not to have any of their planes in the air on the night of
>> > 31 December 1999! But please tell me if you are aware of the truth of this.

>There are problems with ground space at some airports and
>there would be space problems if you suddenly decided that all
>aircraft had to be grounded for 24 hours with many aircraft
>ending up at alternative airports off their normal beaten track
>because there would be no space at their normal points of
>departure and arrival.

Ignoring (for a moment) the multi-day disruption to the airline's schedule
that a fleet-wide grounding might cause, if the reason that the aircraft had
to be parked was sufficiently systemic, there's a lot of space at airports
that *could* be used for parking, such as taxi and runways, turning and
holding spaces.

Sure, if you clog all of these up, you won't be able to move a/c around as
normal, but you could unclog the mess with another time...

Malc.