Re: In the air?

Date:         24 Mar 98 11:38:43
From:         lstone@wwa.com (Larry Stone)

In article <airliners.1998.457@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Pete Mellor <pm@csr.city.ac.uk> wrote:

>The following is a query from my friend
>Felix Redmill <Felix.Redmill@ncl.ac.uk> :-
>> I am told that at any one time two thirds of the world's civil aircraft are
>> in the air, and that this is necessary as there is not room for all of them
>> on the ground. Is this so? If it is, it will be interesting if all airline
>> companies decide not to have any of their planes in the air on the night of
>> 31 December 1999! But please tell me if you are aware of the truth of this.

Sounds extremely doubtful. At around 0600 Eastern Time, I'd venture to say
that most U.S. carriers have 95% of their fleets on the ground. Exceptions
would be some late red-eyes, International flights, and Hawaii to West
Coast red-eyes.

Carriers like Southwest which do not (AFAIK) operate any red-eyes have
100% on the ground.

--
-- Larry Stone --- lstone@wwa.com
   http://www.wwa.com/~lstone/