Re: Geared turbofans

Date:         24 Mar 98 11:38:35
From:         spagiola@usa.net

greg@sherrill.kiva.net (Gregory Travis) wrote:
> Lycoming developed a geared turbofan, the ALF (Advanced Lycoming Fan)-502
> back in the late 1970s.  I don't think they were the only manufacturer
> to do so.
> The ALF-502 went into the Avro/BAe-114 (hope I have the model right - the
> high winged four-engined short haul commuter).  The early history, at
> least, was not rosy with some wags suggesting that BAE really stood
> for "Bring Another Engine."

The aircraft you're referring to is the BAe 146. The Avro RJ series is a
development of this, with LF-507 engines. And yes, the ALF-502s do have a
reputation for being troublesome, which seem to have been ironed out now.

For more details on the BAe 146 and Avro RJ, see
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/2366/smiliner.html

Stefano Pagiola
--
All opinions are my own.
850 N Randolph Str No.817, Arlington VA 22203, USA