Re: PW 8000 engines for 737/320

Date:         24 Mar 98 11:38:34
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>> AFAIK, the PW8000 won't fit the 737 anyway, as the fan diameter is too
>> large.

>As the target for the PW8000 is the 320 and 737 I doubt that they are that
>dumb to exclude 50% of the market from the start.

It doesn't matter, they've already been excluded from the 737NG by
virtue of the agreement between Boeign and GE, which gives GE (via
CFMI) sole engine rights in exchange for a risk-sharing position in
the airframe program.  The PW8000 could be used on either the 2nd
generation 737 (an unlikely scenario) or a 4th generation (which is
many years off at best), but not on the 3rd generation unless GE
gives its blessing (which I wouldn't count on).

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com