In the air?

Date:         21 Mar 98 16:31:20
From:         Pete Mellor <pm@csr.city.ac.uk>
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5

The following is a query from my friend
Felix Redmill <Felix.Redmill@ncl.ac.uk> :-

> Pete:
>
> I am told that at any one time two thirds of the world's civil aircraft are
> in the air, and that this is necessary as there is not room for all of them
> on the ground. Is this so? If it is, it will be interesting if all airline
> companies decide not to have any of their planes in the air on the night of
> 31 December 1999! But please tell me if you are aware of the truth of this.
>
> Regards,
> Felix.

This is the first time I have heard this. It has the feel of
an urban myth, but I told Felix I'd check. Any thoughts?

Peter Mellor, Centre for Software Reliability, City University, Northampton
Square, London EC1V 0HB, UK. Tel: +44 (171) 477-8422, Fax: +44 (171) 477-8585
E-mail: p.mellor@csr.city.ac.uk, Web: http://www@csr.city.ac.uk/