Re: CHINA AIRLINES AIRBUS CRASH QUESTIONS

Date:         13 Mar 98 03:35:35
From:         "Marv Woolard" <marvw@flash.net>

187 <lowwol@pacific.net.sg> wrote in article
<airliners.1998.397@ohare.Chicago.COM>...
> Sharat Chandrasekhar wrote:
> > 2) Wouldnt the cockpit GPWS horn have sounded and warned the pilots to
> > pull up? I presume the A-300 is equipped with it.
>
> news has it that 2 rings which sounded like an alarn was heard by the
> tower prior tothe plane crashing.
>
> another thing to note is that the newspapers had been saying that the
> pilot may have mistaken the highway, which is quite a near distance from
> the airport, as the runway.  is this possible?
> i do not think so because if really so, the g/s and loc antenna would
> have reflected it to the pilot.

I have seen no data on whether the autopilot was still engaged though I
did read somewhere that some carriers were disallowing autoland for some
period of time after this accident; which leads me to believe that this
was an autoland not a pilot hand flown landing.  As you point out no
gpws warning sounds if the aircraft is configured for landing (gear and
flaps) and it appears on or above glideslope.  Assuming these are all
met and yet the aircraft landed short of the runway then there are only
two possibilities: (1) ground equipment fault or failure (bad glideslope
signal) or (2) airborne equipment failure (bad interpretation of a good
glideslope signal).  If the aircraft was "hand flown" below glideslope
a "Glideslope" aural warning would have presumably sounded though there
probably is some low altitude cutoff for this warning.  In my estimation
the weather warranted an autoland, but I don't know the status of the
airborne or ground systems.

marv