Re: CHINA AIRLINES AIRBUS CRASH QUESTIONS

Date:         13 Mar 98 03:35:34
From:         lstone@wwa.com (Larry Stone)

In article <airliners.1998.397@ohare.Chicago.COM>, lowwol@pacific.net.sg wrote:

>another thing to note is that the newspapers had been saying that the
>pilot may have mistaken the highway, which is quite a near distance from
>the airport, as the runway.  is this possible?
>i do not think so because if really so, the g/s and loc antenna would
>have reflected it to the pilot.

But that assumes they continued to monitor the localizer and glide slope
after starting to fly visually to what they think is the runway. As a
light plane pilot, I have to admit once I see the runway, I'm not paying
all that much attention to the navigation instruments.

--
-- Larry Stone --- lstone@wwa.com
   http://www.wwa.com/~lstone/