Re: airliner market analysis [long]

Date:         13 Mar 98 03:35:31
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>> Virgin
>> Atlantic, for example, chose the A340 over the 777 in part because they
>> would have had to fritter away the 777s for about six months while they
>> gained sufficient experience for ETOPS.

>Since the 777 got ETOPS from day one on, did this only apply to VS as
>they only operate 4-engine a/c ??

ETOPS certification applies to operators and their maintenance programs
independent of the airframe/engine certification.  So, just because the
777 with PW4000 engines had ETOPS on day one (I think the 777/Trent did
too, not sure about the 777/GE90), a given airline wouldn't necessarily
be ETOPS approved for the 777.

A number of factors probably helped United get ETOPS approval for their
777 fleet from day one -- a well-established ETOPS program on other types
(757, 767), extensive experience with the selected engine type (PW4000,
already on the UA 747-400 and 767-300(ER) fleet), and, perhaps most
significant of all, substantial ETOPS experience with the 777 itself
(UA crews flew the last 500-600 flights of the 1,000 flight ETOPS-out-
of-the-box airframe/engine certification program).

Besides not having an existing ETOPS program, Virgin may have simply
lost to different rules -- I don't think BA received ETOPS-OOTB for
their 777s, either, so the UK authorities may not accept the idea.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com