Re: 777's

Date:         13 Mar 98 03:35:13
From:         Andrew Cruickshank <andrew@openkast.com>

Tirath Patel wrote:
> Well actually,
>     Malaysia was out of cash in this currency crisis. I don't know why, but
> the Malaysian government is going to still build a new Kuala Lumpur airport.

The KLIA was almost complete when the financial storm broke. It was due
to open next month and is currently undergoing tests. Halting it would
almost certainly cause problems now - it would still need considerable
maintenance even if the project was suspended. Staff have already been
purchasing new houses and moving into the surrounding area.

The existing airport at Subang (they call it something else) has
capacity problems - and at night there have reputedly been problems
finding space for aircraft on the ground - presumably after a
substantial portion of the MAS fleet comes home to roost.

Andrew.