Re: Southwest Airlines 737-700

Date:         13 Mar 98 03:35:04
From:         "Gregory L. Smith" <Gregory.L.Smith2@boeing.com>

C. Marin Faure wrote:
> As far as your "new airplane" statement goes, an airplane IS the wing.
> The fuselage is just a tube to keep the wind out of the passenger's faces,
> although the finance department of an airline tends to view it a bit
> differently.  Putting an all-new wing and tail surfaces on an existing
> fuselage creates an all-new airplane as far as its aerodynamics and
> efficiency is concerned.  The new wing on the 737 fuselage has created an
> airplane that flies faster and higher than the previous model while
> burning less fuel.  If the designers had started with a clean piece of
> paper to come up with a plane to meet the New Generation 737's market, the
> end result probably would have looked like the New Generation 737.  The
> fact that we didn't have to design and build the fuselage tooling just
> meant we were that much farther ahead.

While I agree with most of what you have written, I must take exception
to your comment that we didn't have to design and build new fuselage
tooling.  That is just wrong.  Here in Wichita, we are using completely
new concepts (WRT the classic line) in tooling and assembly for the Next
Generation 737.  All of the 737 NG aircraft are being built on
completely new tooling in a different area of the plant than the Classic
line.  I should know since I was involved in the groups which designed
the Sections 41 and 47 (cab and aft entrance/galley area), floors, and
struts for the new aircraft.

--
Greg Smith
737NG/747/767 Strut Weight Engineering