Re: Pilot Training at Obscure Airports (was: Southwest Airlines 737-700)

Date:         03 Mar 98 03:13:18
From:         tbenz@halcyon.com (Tom Benedict)

westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu (Stephen H. Westin) wrote:

> When I visited Legoland back in 1990, I was a bit surprised to see a
> shiny new Lufthansa 747-400 take off from the adjacent airport at
> Billup, Denmark. Seemed like an odd place to offer intercontinental
> service. Then I saw it take off again about 15 minutes later. And
> again, and again...

And if you visited Moses Lake, in Washington, USA, you could see JAL 747s
doing the same thing. I don't know whether they still have a presence
there, but back in the 70's and 80's MWH was a major crew training
location for JAL. The 747 they used was very old and in very poor shape. I
worked for a regional ariline that serviced MWH and we handled frequent
AOG shipments from Boeing to JAL@MWH.

Tom Benedict
tbenz@halcyon.com