Re: Pilot Training at Obscure Airports (was: Southwest Airlines 737-700)

Date:         03 Mar 98 03:13:17
From:         mmitch@cix.co.uk (Michael Mitchell.)

In article <airliners.1998. westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu (Stephen H. Westin) wrote:
> When I visited Legoland back in 1990, I was a bit surprised to
>see a shiny new Lufthansa 747-400 take off from the adjacent
>airport at Billup, Denmark. Seemed like an odd place to offer
>intercontinental service. Then I saw it take off again about 15
>minutes later. And again, and again...

 Over here in the UK there is a large runway at RAF Manston, Kent
(2,700m).IT is used by several airlines, Virgin, Air UK etc for
training. To see a 747 doing 'Touch & Go' is something. I have
over the years seen A340, F100, DC8F & B707 as well. They are
real landings, no ILS installed. I have even heard them ask for
the PAPI lights to be turned off!

         Mike Mitchell.
 Aviation enthusiast not fanatic.