Re: Southwest Airlines 737-700

Date:         03 Mar 98 03:13:15
From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)

Niels Sampath <niels@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <airliners.1998.276@ohare.Chicago.COM> faurecm@halcyon.com "C. Marin Faure" writes:
>>I was told today that as of right now, the dispatch reliability of
>>Southwest's 737-700s is 100 percent.  This won't last, of course, but it's
>>an impressive way to introduce a new plane.
>
>Not -quite- as impressive as your company memo may make it seem.  If it
>were a -completely- `new' plane , yes.  But you can't sell it by
>promoting its commonalities with older 737s and ease of fitting in with
>older 737 ops and maint.  and then claim it as being an impressive `new'
>plane. A new wing  and derivatives of a proven engine are unlikely to be
>the cause of any problems or bugs when attached to many proven systems
>not mention the 30 year old general airframe design.  Plus, it was
>delayed into service entry by a factor of months allowing plenty of time
>to prepare.  So a perfectly smooth, if delayed, entry, but not that
>`impressive'.

Being a derivative does not mean it will have few introduction problems.
For example, it wasn't a very smooth introduction for the B747-400.  Also,
you may want to check R-R's Trent 700 and 800 in-service data.  Both are
derivative engines.  Yet, both have, I believe, the highest inflight
shutdown rate, lowest dispatch reliability rate, and the most unscheduled
engine removals.