Re: Cockpit Windows

Date:         09 Jan 98 00:50:58
From:         "John Mazor" <mazorj@erols.com>

Seth Heckard <sheckard@hotmail.com> wrote in article
<airliners.1998.10@ohare.Chicago.COM>...
> Pardon me if this is a stupid question, but why do older planes (such as
> a Boeing 707, 727, or 737, and a DC-8 or -9 and MD-80) have an extra
> cockpit window (or two) on top of the main row of cockpit windows?  And
> why do newer, but similarly sized planes such as the A320 family and the
> 757 have just one row of cockpit windows?

An old airline pilot once told me that the "eyebrow" windows, being
basically useless, were put there to meet the minimum requirement for
square inches of viewing area.  The bigger, functional winshield panels
already had been optimized to some design requirement, so the eyebrows were
added to meet the standard.