Re: Southwest Airlines 737-700

Date:         19 Feb 98 01:34:35
From:         niels@nospam.demon.co.uk (Niels Sampath)

In article <airliners.1998.276@ohare.Chicago.COM> faurecm@halcyon.com "C. Marin Faure" writes:
>I was told today that as of right now, the dispatch reliability of
>Southwest's 737-700s is 100 percent.  This won't last, of course, but it's
>an impressive way to introduce a new plane.

Not -quite- as impressive as your company memo may make it seem.  If it
were a -completely- `new' plane , yes.  But you can't sell it by
promoting its commonalities with older 737s and ease of fitting in with
older 737 ops and maint.  and then claim it as being an impressive `new'
plane. A new wing  and derivatives of a proven engine are unlikely to be
the cause of any problems or bugs when attached to many proven systems
not mention the 30 year old general airframe design.  Plus, it was
delayed into service entry by a factor of months allowing plenty of time
to prepare.  So a perfectly smooth, if delayed, entry, but not that
`impressive'.

--
-Niels

(for e-mail replies you -might- have to replace 'nospam' with 'lofgren')