Re: Older Aircraft

Date:         19 Feb 98 01:34:31
From:         kevbo@fuji.email.ne.jp (Kevin J. Bogart)

> If you look at cargo operators -- regular service, though perhaps
> not what you had in mind -- you'll find some older equipment.  FedEx
> has a few 727-100s from 1964, and Kalitta American International
> Airways has a DC-8-51C dating from 1962, leased to a subsidiary but
> apparently in service.
>
> If you don't limit yourself to jets, Reeve Aleutian still operates
> three Lockheed L-188 Electras in scheduled passenger service, two of
> which date from 1959.  You can probably still find some Convair 580s
> in odd corners of the country, and there are even DC-3s which are in
> regular service of sorts.  (Is Vintage Airlines still flying them in
> South Florida?)

There are still DC-3s flying cargo routes out of the US Virgin Islands for
Four Star Aviation-- STT-SJU and STT-MIA I think. They are unquestionably
beautiful planes -- after a coupla AA 757s whine overhead, it's quite a
sight. There is a smallish hill at the end of the runway (an EA jet
slammed into it in the late 70s I think) -- if you are on the other side
of it watching the flights go over, watching the DC-3s pass over the hill
on a slow climb is as close to a small time machine as you can get,
especially with the retro Four Star markings.

It's actually been a coupla years since I've been down to STT, so Four
Star may have acquired new equipment by now.

Kev

--
Kevin J. Bogart
College of the University of Chicago, AB '97