Re: Prototype airliners; what is their fate?

Date:         19 Feb 98 01:34:20
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

In article <airliners.1998.303@ohare.Chicago.COM>, dave@amiwest.com wrote:

> >What happens to airliner prototypes?
>
>         Simple - if they are Boeings, they end up in Seattle!  Boeing is
> storing 367-80 at Boeing Field, along with the last 307.  The Museum of
> Flight, on the field, owns the last 80A, a 247 and the prototype 727,
> 737 and 747.  Boeing still operates the prototype 757, 767 and 777 from
> the field too.  All that is missing is the last unguppied 377, which
> might still exist in Israel and a 314, none of which exist, though the
> Museum of Flight has the rudder from one.

This is more or less correct.  The 80A in the Museum of Flight is not the
prototype, but is, I believe, the last one around unless the National Air
& Space Museum has one hidden away at Silver Hill.  Likewise, the Museum
of Flight's 247 is not the prototype, but is one of the few survivors (the
NASM has one, too).  The Model 307 Stratoliner that was flown back to
Boeing Field a couple of years ago also is not a prototype but is believed
to be the last one in existance (I believe only 13 were made).  The
prototype 757 is still used by Boeing as a flying test bed.  The prototype
767 does not belong to Boeing.  It was sold a number of years ago to the
US Army who uses it as the platform for what was originally called the AOA
or Airborne Optical Adjunct.  It has an optical, infrared scanner
installed in a large, streamlined dome on top of the fuselage.  The
prototype 777 is still in Boeing's inventory, although how long it will
remain so is currently in question.

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane