Re: Runway Lengths

Date:         19 Feb 98 01:34:14
From:         Robin Peel <robinp@mindspring.com>

Randy Pierce wrote:
> Could someone mail me the length of runway needed to land for today's
> airliners?  I live in a city with an airport of 7,500 feet and wondered
> what exactly could land there.  I'd love to see a DC-10 fly in.

It depends on lots of things (especially aeroplane weight, altitude and
temperature).  I flew many times on a DC-10 flight American Airlines
used to offer out of Austin, Texas (AUS-DFW-LAX), using the longest
(7269') runway (13R/31L).  I presume the DC-10 had minimal fuel for the
hop to DFW, to keep the take-off weight down.  And when bad weather
affects operations at DFW, many American aeroplanes turn up at Austin,
including DC-10s and the occasional MD-11.  I believe the biggest
airliners currently scheduled out of Austin are American's 757s.

- Robin.