Re: Nigeria airways

Date:         19 Feb 98 01:34:07
From:         "Rich Duncan" <skylark@gte.net>

Jim Wolper wrote in message ...
>Marc Schaeffer wrote:
>> You're going to have to believe me on this one. I flew on the Nigerian
>> Airways flight from Lagos to London on the A310. On takeoff from Lagos,
>> fire spewed from the left engine. We climbed to about 2,000 feet, then
>> promplty landed in Lagos again. I went to the cockpit, where the pilot
>> informed me that since we had a VIP on our flight that had to be in
>> London soon, we had to takeoff without the engine. So, we did.
>
>Nonsense.  A non-centerline-thrust twin engine airplane can't maintain
>heading with one engine idle and the other producing takeoff thrust
>below a known speed called V_{mcg}.  There are procedures for THREE engine
>takeoffs in FOUR engine airplanes, involving symmetrical thrust early
>and addition of thrust from the third engine as speed builds up.  A long
>runway helps, too.

I'm not sure this is relevant to the discussion but I have performed the
very procedure you have describe as "nonsense" in the 737-300, 757-200,
767-200/300 and 777-200 simulators at the Boeing (now Flight Safety - Boeing
Training International) facility here in Tukwilla, WA.  It helps to have a
long runway and a light airplane but with careful application of power,
rudder and nose wheel steering it is possible.  I doubt that I would ever
try it for "real" but it is nice to know that it is possible to accomplish
this "nonsense" task if my life depended on it.
By the way - the last time I heard about a three engined take-off (somewhere
in Africa I believe) the 707-320C's crew "lost it" during the take-off
roll - totaled the airplane and injured the crew - no fatalities.  By the
way a three engined take off is illegal in the USA with any type of paying
passengers aboard - it is definitely a risky maneuver.