Re: 747 with engines on the wings?

Date:         19 Feb 98 01:33:57
From:         bobo@algonet.se

In article <airliners.1998.269@ohare.Chicago.COM>, RLION@worldonline.nl
(Lion's Pers Agentschap) wrote:

>  What is the reason that airliners have engines under the wing instead
> of on it?
>
>  Possibly it will take a little bit more aluminium to construct
> airliners this way, but with overwing engines the wing can deflect a
> big portion of the noise for people living around airports. (This can
> be reached even without improving the engines themselves!)

Well, I think the main reason is that weight of the engines help relieve
the bending forces on the wing structure. And it so happens that "a little
bit more aluminum" is the last thing an airline wants to push around the
sky. Can't help thinking about Roy Braybrook's insightful statement in
some issue of Air International: "An airliner is a tubular device for
making money".

/MJ