Re: MD95-->717-200/ 707s, turbofans & stabs.

Date:         11 Feb 98 04:26:37
From:         "Matthew Lehde" <matt757@earthlink.net>

Niels Sampath wrote in message ...
>In article <airliners.1998.192@ohare.Chicago.COM>
>           don@news.daedalus.co.nz "Don Stokes" writes:

>>I don't recall a change to the horizontal stabiliser on the 707 --
>>what was it (and why)?
>
> Yes,  when the change was made from `turbo' to fan jets
> they got new stabs. Includes retrofits-> not sure exactly
> `why'. May have just been a useful aerodynamic modification
> based on on-going research that needed major downtime to
> install (i.e. during re-engining)  as much as due to the
> change in engines.

Were these new stabs bigger?  Maybe the turbofans were heavier and the
weight of a heavier horizontal stab. aft of the CG would re-balance the
airframe.  Or vice versa. Just brainstorming... You guys know waaaaay more
than me about 707s.  :)

matt757@earthnet.net
matt lehde, 747 assembler
Fly Boeing!