Re: 747-100 vs. -200

Date:         09 Jan 98 00:50:50
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>>Late model -300s and -400s (at least P&W powered ones) have the later
>>747SP pylon.  Earlier -100/-200s seem to have both pylons.

>Well when Boeing first produced the 747-100, its upper level only had
>three windows, while as years went airlines had the option to expand
>this to the amount of windows on the 200 series.

Right.  This modification also involved relocating some air conditioning
equipment in the rear of the hump, allowing the upper cabin length to be
increased from 19' to 25'.  But as you note, Boeing offered this as a
retrofit kit for older 747-100s and later 747-100s may have been built
with the change.  Furthermore, I've seen at least one 747-200B which had
the old "three holer" style upper deck.  The upper deck configuration is
therefore not useful in distinguishing between a 747-100 and a 747-200B.

>The -200 series also introduced the first General Electric powered
>747's also.

Also Rolls-Royce engines.  But David did refer to the P&W powered
aircraft.  Note, too, that there was a 747-100B model, at least some of
which were built with Rolls-Royce engines.  I'm not aware of any with GE
engines, however, so GE engines without the -300's extended upper deck
or the -400's winglets would indicate a 747-200.  That still leaves the
question of how to tell what it is if it's got JT9D (or RB.211) engines.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com