Re: KC-135 minutiae (was: MD-95-30 becomes 717-200 "Regional Jet")

Date:         11 Feb 98 04:26:36
From:         tyler@plk.af.mil (David Tyler)

westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu (Stephen H. Westin) writes:
> Under another modification program, all Air Force Reserve and Air
> National Guard tankers were re-engined with TF-33-PW-102 engines. The
> re-engined tanker, designated the KC-135E, is 14 percent more fuel
> efficient than the KC-135A and can carry 20 percent more fuel.

>So I guess the answer is "yes". I suspect that the "TF-33-PW-102" is
>military terminology for some fairly familiar airliner engine; perhaps
>the turbofan engine from a later 707.

it's my understanding that usaf bought up a slew of old boneyard 707s
just to get those engines.

dave
-David W. Tyler                    "It seems you feel our work is not
-Air Force Research Laboratory          of benefit to the public."
-Albuquerque, New Mexico
-tyler@plk.af.mil                              --Rachel